In the News – N. Korea to carry out more provocations: Pentagon official

Aside

In the News – N. Korea to carry out more provocations: Pentagon official

By Lee Chi-dong
WASHINGTON, April 26 (Yonhap) — A senior Pentagon official on Thursday emphasized the need for “optimal readiness” against additional provocations from North Korea.

“North Korea’s April 12 missile test will not be its last,” Kathleen H. Hicks, the nominee to become principal deputy under secretary of defense for policy, told the Senate Armed Services Committee at a confirmation hearing.

She has been serving as deputy under secretary of defense for strategy, plans and forces since 2009.

“The United States must continue to monitor carefully North Korea’s weapons of mass destruction and missile development programs and related proliferation activities,” she added. Continue reading

Advertisements

U.S. Suspends MIA Search in North Korea

Aside

U.S. Suspends MIA Search in North Korea

By Jim Garamone

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, March 21, 2012 – The United States has suspended efforts to find remains of U.S. service members lost during the Korean War due to North Korean threats to launch a ballistic missile, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said here today.


Click photo for screen-resolution image

Pentagon Press Secretary George Little and Navy Capt. John Kirby, Pentagon spokesman, brief the press corps on defense-related issues at the Pentagon, March 21, 2012. DOD photo by U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Chad J. McNeeley

Recovering remains of those lost and unaccounted for is a priority to the Defense Department, and U.S. experts were due to enter North Korea this month.

“We have suspended that effort because we believe that North Korea has not acted appropriately in recent days and weeks and that it’s important for them to return to the standards of behavior that the international community has called for,” Little said at a Pentagon news conference. “We do hope at some point to be able to re-engage the effort.” Continue reading

In the News – U.S. official: No evidence North Korean leader is dead

Aside

In the News – U.S. official: No evidence North Korean leader is dead

A photo released by North Korea's official news agency on Thursday shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, center.

A photo released by North Korea's official news agency on Thursday shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, center.

(CNN) — The U.S. intelligence community has found no evidence to suggest North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is dead, a senior U.S. official said Friday following posts on China’s version of Twitter that claimed Kim had been assassinated while in Beijing.

U.S. intelligence officials have been looking into such rumors for more than a week, according to the official, who has direct knowledge of the latest U.S. analysis. Continue reading